This childhood favorite just got an upgrade! With a little addition of chai spices, Rice Krispies treats will never be boring again! These Chai Spiced Rice Krispies Treats are the perfect Fall snack that the whole family will love.
How to make Rice Krispies Treats
Making Rice Krispies Treats could not be easier and only requires a few ingredients. There are many upon many variations on the traditional treat recipe, and you can really do whatever you want to these.
To make any version of rice krispies treats recipes, you will need:
- a large pot
- a wooden spoon or large spatula
- a 9×13″ cake pan
- parchment paper
- Rice Krispies cereal (one large box should do)
- 2 (16oz) bags of regular sized marshmallows (we use Jet-Puffed)
- 1 stick of salted butter
- vanilla extract
Our Version: Chai Spiced Rice Krispies
For our version of Rice Krispies Treats, we added a delicious chai spice blend and Nutella cream drizzled on top. Chai spice blends are typically easy to find in stores, but the one we use and prefer is from Spice Tree Organics and can be ordered online. We highly recommend giving this blend a try (not sponsored, we just love their spice blends).
The Nutella cream makes the perfect drizzle giving these a bit of chocolate hazelnut flavor for a little special touch! The warm spices in this chai blend, including cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg and ginger, make these perfect for Fall entertaining!
When making the Chai Spiced Rice Krispies Treats, you want to use a large pot that will be easy to manage once the 10 cups of cereal have been added to the melted marshmallows. We use our large stock put or 7.25 qt dutch oven.
Prepping your dish with parchment paper before starting the recipe will help not only later once the mixture is ready, but it will also help you easily remove the finished treats from the baking this. We line a 9×13″ rectangular cake pan with parchment hanging slightly over the sides so that you have enough to grab. If you don’t have parchment paper, make sure you butter the dish or use cooking spray for easy removal (we use Baker’s Joy).
Melting the butter
You will begin by melting the whole stick of butter in the pot over medium heat. We prefer to use salted butter in this recipe rather than adding salt later. We find that they don’t really need much salt at all. If you only have unsalted butter, then add a 1/4 tsp of salt to your batch.
Adding the marshmallows
Once your butter is completely melted, you can begin adding your marshmallows. We count a total of 100 marshmallows (about two 16-oz bags or regular sized marshmallows). Stir the butter and marshmallows constantly to prevent burning, and turn down the heat a little if needed. You want to stir until completely melted for best results. The marshmallows should melt in about 5-10 minutes.
Mixing in the chai spice blend and vanilla
Add the vanilla and chai spice blend to the marshmallow mixture as soon as the marshmallows have melted. Then the mixture should be removed from the heat prior to adding the Rice Krispies and mixing everything together.
Tips for fluffy, soft Rice Krispies Treats
Here are a few tips for making sure your treats turn out soft and chewy:
- Do not pack the mixture into the dish. Packing the mixture will result in hard Rice Krispies treats rather than a fluffy gooey texture.
- Use a wooden spoon dipped in water to gently spread the mixture. When spreading the mixture in the cake pan, we use a wooden spoon and a cup of warm water. Dip the spoon in the water and gently spread the mixture to evenly distribute it in the cake pan.
- Drizzle the Nutella Cream on top of the mixture while it is still warm. This will allow the Nutella Cream to melt a bit into the top layer of the treats.
- Let cool to room temperature before removing and cutting. This will allow your treats to set completely and will make it easier to evenly cut them later.
- Store in an airtight container at room temp for up to a week, or freeze. These keep very well on the counter at room temp to enjoy within a week. They also freeze very well and can be enjoyed later!
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Chai Spiced Rice Krispies Treats. If you make them, leave us a comment below. Or share your recipes on social media and tag us @cooking_with_wine!
If you are looking for more desserts, check out some of our other popular recipes below:
- Whiskey Maple Chocolate Ganache Cupcakes
- Brown Butter and Pecan Rum Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Butter Cake aka “Crack Cake”
- Triple Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies
- Pumpkin Mascarpone Cheesecake with Candied Cinnamon Pecans