It is officially cookie season! We are up to our ears in cookies this time of the year and we love creating fun little cookie boxes to give to friends and family. One of the most popular cookies to gift to others is the Linzer Cookie and this Brown Butter Cardamom Linzer Cookies with Passion Fruit Jelly will be the star of the show.
This year we have partnered with Da Vine Foods to create a delicious version of the Linzer Cookie that will be the highlight of every cookie box! We present to you the Brown Butter Cardamom Linzer Cookie with Passion Fruit Jelly!
What is a Linzer Cookie?
Linzer cookies are small sandwich type cookies that typically consist of two buttery cookies with some sort of filling in the middle, often jam or fruit curd. The top cookie usually has a small shape cut out of it exposing the filling and adding to the beautiful appeal of these delicious bites. And these cookies are dusted with powdered sugar, making them the perfect little wintery treat!
How do you make Linzer Cookies?
Linzer cookie dough is not much different than any other cookie dough to make and can easily be done with whatever equipment you have at home. We prefer to use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment for these, but an electric hand mixer will work as well!
The traditional Linzers are circular with a smaller circle cut out in the middle. You can easily find Linzer cookie cutters that come with several shapes online. We have THIS ONE and love it!
You could also use a biscuit cutter or even a glass to accomplish this if you don't have cookie cutters in the shapes you want. And you could use a knife to cut the smaller circles.
What ingredients do I need to make these Linzer cookies?
For these Brown Butter Cardamom Linzer Cookies with Passion Fruit Jelly, you will need a few ingredients that may not be in your pantry.
First, you will need almond flour. These cookies have a slight almond flavor that is so yummy! We don't recommend skipping the almond flour on this one. If you have difficulty finding almond flour, you can instead toast some almonds in a skillet then add them to a food processor. This will have a similar effect as buying almond flour.
Next, you will need ground green cardamom pods. We prefer to buy the pods and grind them ourselves using a spice (or coffee) grinder, like THIS. But you should be able to find already ground cardamom at most grocery stores. Cardamom has a slightly sweet, yet pungent flavor that is almost citrusy with a touch of mint. It is a nice addition to sweet or savory dishes, and we love its flavor in these cookies!
If you have never made cookies with brown butter before, well you are in for a treat! Brown butter takes any food to another level, but is especially good in cookies! If you are wondering where to find brown butter, look no further, because it is right in your fridge! Brown butter is made by heating butter on the stove until the milk solids get...well... brown! Doing this results in a deeper, nuttier taste that is absolutely to die for! Find instructions for making brown butter in the instructions below if you have not made it before.
Finally, Lilikoi Jelly (aka Passion Fruit Jelly) takes these cookies to another level! These are an unforgettable Christmas or Holiday Cookie that will please anyone who has the pleasure of receiving them as a gift this year!
What is Passion Fruit, Lilikoi?
Passion fruit, or Lilikoi (its Hawaiian name pronounced like the lily flower and Koi like the fish), is a sweet and tart fruit found in tropical regions of the world. When cutting into these round, often yellow-skinned fruit, you will discover a pulp that contains small soft gel-like sacks surrounding black seeds. The seeds are all edible!
There is a thin white layer inside the passion fruit's smooth and fairly tough skin. The skin and thin white sack aren’t eaten due to their bitter taste and tough texture. But you can dig into the pulp with a spoon for a delightful treat. Or squeeze and strain the juices to add to a variety of recipes.
Da Vine Foods has done all the work for you. They make high-quality and delicious passion fruit products fit for every meal!
The Lilikoi Jelly, which we used in these Brown Butter Cardamom Linzer Cookies, is perfect for a variety of sweets. It can also be used to top your toast in the morning, spread over pancakes or waffles, added to a charcuterie board, or used as a delicious topping for a baked brie. We have also used the jelly as a marinade for pork or to create a sweet and tangy glaze for salmon!
Da Vine Hawaii makes a variety of delicious Lilikoi products. Check out some of the following recipes using their passion fruit products:
- Passion Fruit White Chocolate Mint Gelato
- Passion Fruit and Peach Waffles
- Polynesian Pulled Pork Tacos
- Passion Fruit Cocktails
- Pumpkin Passion Fruit Spice Cake
If you want to try out the products, Da Vine Foods has given our users a special discount code. You can receive 15% off their products, and shipping is always free! Use code CWW15.
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Brown Butter Cardamom Linzer Cookies with Passion Fruit Jelly! If you give them a try, leave us a comment below, or tag us on Instagram @cooking_with_wine!
Brown Butter Cardamom Linzer Cookies with Passion Fruit Jelly
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter (European preferred - 82% minimum butterfat)
- 1 cup Brown butter
- 1 cup Almond Flour (100 g)
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour (250 g)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (pinch)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- Da Vine Foods Lilikoi Jelly for the filling (or fruit jelly of choice)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
Make the brown butter
- Add butter to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat stirring occasionally. Use your nose and eyes - you want to stir enough so the milk solids don't stick to the bottom. Cook until the milk solids start to brown and the aroma is nutty (approx 5 min). At this point remove from the heat and use or let cool and refrigerate. Ensure when removing from the pan, you get all of the brown milk solids for best flavor.
- Allow brown butter to come to cool to room temperature while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
Make the Cookie Dough
- Add almond and all purpose flours to a bowl with the baking powder, salt, and cardamom. Whisk to combine completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or use a hand mixer), add brown butter and sugar. Mix at medium speed until mixture looks light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add the whole egg and egg yolk and continue to mix until combined.
- Add vanilla and ginger and mix until just combined.
- Reduce speed and add flour mixture slowly (about ⅓ at a time). Make sure each addition is mixed completely before adding more.
- Once flour mixture is completely combined, bring contents together with your hands into a ball and place on a flat surface covered with plastic wrap. Press the ball into a flat disc, wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour. Alternatively, you can keep the dough in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Once you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 350° F and remove dough from fridge. Allow dough to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Lightly flour a clean flat surface, unwrap dough and lightly roll out until ⅛ inch thick. The dough may crack a little, so use your hands to bring dough back together as needed. Using a round cookie cutter and smaller shape cookie cutter (or find Linzer cookie cutters online), cut equal numbers of solid round cookies and rounds with shape cutouts. The solid round cookies will be the bottom of the sandwich and the rounds with cutouts will be the top.
- With a small spatula, gently place the cut dough onto a baking tray. Bring the remaining dough scraps back together in a ball and repeat Step 9 until almost all dough has been cut. If the dough feels too soft and unmanageable, place back in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Bake cookies for a total of 10-12 minutes, turning the tray at the 5-6 minute mark. Your cookies should be very lightly browned with the edges set. Once they are done, remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To complete cookies, add powdered sugar to a fine sieve and dust the rounds with cutouts. Then add a ½ teaspoon of Passion Fruit Jelly to each solid round and place the powdered sugar dusted rounds with cutouts on top of each one and enjoy!