We are big fans of the Negroni! Maybe it's Mark's Italian roots or our obsession with Italian cuisine, but a Negroni is one of those classic cocktails that we enjoy throughout the year! And the variations on the classic Negroni are so interesting and delicious on their own! So here are two variations of the classic, including our creation of the Chocolate Almond Autumn Negroni cocktail.
What is in a Classic Negroni?
A classic Negroni is quite simple to make and has equal parts (1 oz each) of the following: Campari, gin, and Sweet Vermouth. These are stirred with ice to chill, then strained into a low ball glass over ice, or as we prefer, a large-scale ice cube. Usually, the Negroni will have an orange slice or twist as a garnish and the zest is spritzed onto the drink right before serving.
Although, there are many variations on the classic Negroni, the classic is still one of our favorites!
For a VERY unique twist on the classic, we choose the Empress Negroni. This version omits the Campari and instead replaces it with 1.5 oz Empress 1908 Gin, ¾ oz Luxardo Bitter Bianco, and ¾ oz Dry Vermouth with a grapefruit twist. You can find the recipe HERE.
Our Chocolate Almond Autumn Negroni
Since we are kicking off fall, and Negroni Week fell right before the official start of fall this year, we wanted to develop a fun twist that is perfect for the season! Our autumn version of the Negroni has equal parts (¾ oz) gin, Campari and Sweet Vermouth like the original, but we added ¼ oz each of Amaretto and Chocolate Liqueur, plus chocolate bitters. We garnished this version of the Negroni with star anise and a cinnamon stick to add all the aromas of Autumn as you sip on this delicious cocktail.
We hope you enjoy our Chocolate Almond Autumn Negroni! If you give it a try, leave us a comment below, or tag us on Instagram @cooking_with_wine!
Looking for more cocktails? Check out some of our popular cocktail recipes below:
- Southern Sunset – Bourbon and Rye Whiskey Cocktail
- Pumpkin Spice White Russian Cocktail
- Passion Fruit Cocktails
- Peanut Butter Jelly Thyme Cocktail
Chocolate Almond Autumn Negroni
- 1 cocktail mixing glass/bar glass
- 1 cocktail mixing spoon
- ¾ ounce gin
- ¾ ounce Campari
- ¾ ounce Sweet Vermouth
- ¼ ounce Amaretto or other almond liqueur
- ¼ ounce chocolate liqueur
- 4 dashes chocolate bitters
- Garnish with cinnamon stick and whole star anise
- Add gin, Campari, Sweet Vermouth, Amaretto, chocolate liqueur, and chocolate bitters to a cocktail mixing glass with ice. Stir for 30 seconds until chilled.
- Strain into a low ball glass over ice or large format ice cube.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and a whole star anise.