This sweet and spicy Baked Whiskey Glazed Hot Wings recipe is just want you need for any game day, party, or any night of the week!
Inspiration behind these Hot Wings
Everyone has had the classic buffalo wings. And now with wing shops all over the place, you’ve probably tried several different flavors that are either saucy, dry rubbed, Asian inspired, extremely hot, or even sticky sweet.
So of course, we started tinkering with flavors that we love and knew would complement each other. What we were left with were amazing chicken wings that burst with flavor and have quite a unique flavor!
We wanted to use whiskey, since it imparts a flavor that just not found often enough in cooking.
We also wanted a little spice and heat to go with some sweetness. These wings are not anything “too much” on the flavor spectrum, but rather have a little bit of everything for just about anyone who likes wings. The Sambal Oelek and hot sauce give the spice while the brown sugar and honey balance that out with sweetness. Everything else just boosts flavor, and that’s what you want in a good chicken wing!
Baking vs Frying
Many wings you have eaten, especially at restaurants, are fried in order to get that nice crispy skin that holds the sauce nicely. But frying at home can be daunting to many people, so home versions of chicken wing recipes turn to baking. If you are wondering if the same crispy result can be achieved with baking, the answer is a resounding YES!
The key to crispy chicken wings is to toss them with baking powder before baking. Easy peasy! And baking is a slightly healthier alternative so everyone wins here!
Should I be worried about using alcohol?
Is there residual alcohol in the sauce? No, it is all burned off well before you coat your wings, so this is child safe. But what it does do is help build a complex and deep flavor to coat your crispy wings.
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Baked Whiskey Glazed Hot Wings! If you give it a try, leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram @cooking_with_wine!
Looking for more recipes like this? Check out the following:
- Kung Pao Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Pecan Jalapeño and Gouda Cheese Ball
- Hazelnut Honey Garlic Baked Brie
- Jalapeño and Smoked Gouda Bagel Dog Bites
Baked Whiskey Glazed Hot Wings
For the Wings
- 4 lbs chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
For the Wings
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Dry off the wings and let sit on a baking rack over a sheet tray in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to further dry.
- After 30 minutes, remove from the refrigerator, add to a large bowl, and thoroughly coat with the salt and baking powder. Spray the rack with cooking spray and put the wings back on the rack, keeping them spread out as much as possible. Put them in the oven for 45 minutes.
For the Sauce
- While the wings cook, put the whisky in a saucepan over low heat and warm it up. Just as it bubbles, keep it at a low heat for a few minutes. Then add the rest of the ingredients of the sauce in with the whisky. Bring to a slight boil, turn the heat down and gently simmer for about 20-30 minutes, stirring with a spatula often. This will concentrate the flavors.
- When the wings are done, remove them to a large mixing bowl and add the sauce, or as much or as little as you like to coat the wings. Use a large spoon or spatula to mix and make sure each wing is coated. Serve with celery and homemade blue cheese dressing.
Do you love our recipes?
We work hard to provide you with delicious FREE recipes here on Cooking With Wine. If you love and value our content and want to support our efforts, you can contribute whatever amount you are comfortable with below.Buy me a coffee
We will continue to provide you with recipes no matter what, so there is no obligation to contribute! Any and all contributions are greatly appreciated!
Thank you for being part of our community! You are the reason we do what we do!