If you are looking for a way to give your scalloped potatoes a facelift, these Cheesy Layered Rosemary Potatoes are sure to impress! The potatoes are sliced thin and layered with fontina cheese and fresh chopped rosemary. We know you will love this potato side dish!
The Inspiration Behind These Fancy Potatoes
Potatoes are amazing. We love them and their versatility is probably unmatched. Making potatoes sexy is a different proposition! There are a lot of ways to “fancy” up potatoes, but it takes a bit of work to really make them pop.
The French are known for quite a bit in the culinary world. We all owe a debt of gratitude to them for taking a humble dirtball of a vegetable and turning it into so many mouthwatering options! Potato lovers, this is a great option to try!
This is a French-inspired dish from Pommes Anna, which is a classic that is tasty and beautiful in presentation. We really like simplifying the process while adding additional flavor profiles. The original version, although delicious, is quite basic with butter, salt, and pepper.
In the end, we have the tasty and beautiful parts of Pommes Anna from the classic in this dish. But we also get to enjoy additional mouthwatering flavors of earthy rosemary and a nutty, Alpine, Northwest Italian Fontina!
There are two ways you can serve these, which are:
- Garnish with fresh chopped rosemary and serve right from the skillet like a casserole/deep dish pizza/etc. with a knife, spoon or whatever you want, or…
- Turn the entire pan onto a plate – carefully – and serve “upside down” for a beautiful spiraled caramelization of potatoes. Garnish as you wish. You may have a bit of excessive clarified butter that comes out that you can mop up with a paper towel for presentation. Serve sliced like a pie.
The Options are Endless
Once you understand the timing and method of making these potatoes, your options are almost endless when it comes to herbs, cheeses, etc. This is a simple version, akin to the original, that still allows the humble potato to shine! These Cheesy Layered Rosemary Potatoes make a great side dish for any protein. They are also a perfect alternative for the typical scalloped potatoes or mashed potatoes for a holiday side dish!
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Cheesy Layered Rosemary Potatoes. If you give it a try, leave us a comment below, or tag us on Instagram @cooking_with_wine!
If you liked this recipe, check out some of our other popular recipes below:
- Parmesan Peppercorn Mashed Potatoes
- Hasselback Red Potatoes with Chive Butter
- Peppercorn Crusted Steak with Brandy Cream Sauce
- Grapefruit Herb Chicken with Supreme Sauce
- Coq au Vin – Chicken in Red Wine
Do you love our recipes?
We work hard to provide you with delicious FREE recipes here on Cooking With Wine. If you love and value our content and want to support our efforts, you can contribute whatever amount you are comfortable with below.Buy me a coffee
We will continue to provide you with recipes no matter what, so there is no obligation to contribute! Any and all contributions are greatly appreciated!
Thank you for being part of our community! You are the reason we do what we do!