Everyone loves a delicious and easy dinner, that is also good for your health! This Sheet Pan Chickpea and Vegetable Medley Dinner is a simple, hearty, and flavorful vegetable dish that is extremely versatile and is ready in 30 minutes! This can be a great vegetarian or vegan meal all on its own, served with rice or your favorite grain, or serve it as a side dish with your favorite meat dish. This truly is the perfect weeknight meal!
Chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) are great in a variety of ways, but we especially love them roasted, like in this recipe. Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein, especially for people who aren’t eating meat or eating a plant-based diet, so adding them to a summer vegetable medley makes this dish a bit more filling and hearty for a well balanced meal.
Preparing Canned Chickpeas for Roasting
In this recipe we use canned chickpeas for ease, and since they are precooked, the roasting process gives them a bit of texture and flavor, especially when combined with the other roasted vegetables. The length of roasting time in this particular recipe doesn’t produce crunchy chickpeas, but more of a creamy, more intensely flavored version. One 16 oz can of chickpeas is the perfect amount when combined with the roasted vegetables to feed four people for this recipe.
To prepare canned chickpeas, all you need to do is rinse them to remove extra sodium used in the brine to preserve the canned chickpeas. If you are a big fan of chickpeas and they are one of your favorite foods, then you will also love our recipe for Stewed Spiced Pork with Cinnamon Rice or Creamy Three Bean Chicken Stew.
What’s in the Vegetable Medley?
Adding onion, bell peppers, and zucchini is a natural combination for this dish, especially during the summer months when zucchini is in season and abundant. We kept it somewhat simple here but you can add a bunch of vegetables if you want to go beyond these.
Added Flavors to this 1-Pan Meal
For fresh herbs, we chose fresh thyme as the herb to compliment the vegetables in this simple sheet pan dinner and it really works well – especially if you are keeping the flavors neutral. The final ingredient used to brighten up the overall flavor is a touch of apple cider vinegar. Of course, any vinegar or acid (like fresh lemon juice) would work, but we prefer the zing that apple cider vinegar brings to the party.
What to Serve with this Chickpea Sheet Pan Dinner?
Our favorite is to serve it over rice with a simple grilled protein, especially chicken. But, again, this is a great and flavorful dish all on its own! Check out our recipes for Cinnamon Rice
or Pepper Rice for a couple different rice options for this dish.
What time and temperature is best for roasting vegetables?
Generally, 400°F (200°C) is perfect for roasting vegetables to achieve some browning and caramelization on the outside and fork-tender doneness. Your vegetables will roast in about 20-30 minutes at this temp. If you prefer your vegetables on the "al dente" end of the spectrum, then aim for the lower cooking time.
For best results, you should make sure to cut your veggies into bite-sized pieces. This way, everything will cook evenly.
Some other ways to change up this Sheet Pan Chickpea and Vegetable Medley Dinner are the following:
- Serve over other grains, such as quinoa, farro, barley, or even toss the veggie medley into cooked pasta!
- Add crumbled feta cheese, Parmesan or Pecorino Romano for serving - we love this dish with feta!
- Serve the roasted veggies over whipped feta and enjoy with some crostini, pita bread, naan, or other bread.
- Top with a protein of your choice cooked separately. We love adding grilled chicken or shrimp to this dish.
- Switch it up and add more of your favorite vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower florets, or asparagus!
We hope that you enjoy this recipe for Sheet Pan Chickpea and Vegetable Medley Dinner. If you give it a try, click the heart to like this post, leave us a comment below and a 5-star rating, or tag us on Instagram @cooking_with_wine!
Looking for more recipes like this? Check these out:
- Vegetable Lasagna with White Sauce
- Hearty Vegetable Pasta Soup
- Roasted Maple Bourbon Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- Creamy Potato and Caramelized Leek Soup
Sheet Pan Chickpea and Vegetable Medley Dinner
- 1 sheet pan
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper – cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 large zucchini – cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 can (16 oz) chickpeas – drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion – cut in bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, removed from stems
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Feta, Parmesan, or Pecorino Romano to serve (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Combine everything in a large bowl, except the apple cider vinegar, and mix well. Spread the mixture out on a sheet tray (large rimmed baking sheet) in a single layer and roast in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes – depending on how soft you prefer your vegetables.
- Once done, remove to a serving bowl and mix in the vinegar. Adjust seasoning and add some additional kosher salt if desired. Serve over rice or your favorite grain.
- Optional: Top with feta, Parmesan, or Pecorino Romano and enjoy!
Do you love our recipes?
We work hard to provide you with delicious FREE recipes here on Cooking With Wine. If you love and value our content and want to support our efforts, you can contribute whatever amount you are comfortable with below.Buy me a coffee
We will continue to provide you with recipes no matter what, so there is no obligation to contribute! Any and all contributions are greatly appreciated!
Thank you for being part of our community! You are the reason we do what we do!