Honestly, it's hard to find a great bloody mary. They are too tomato-y, or too watered down, never flavorful enough, and they usually let me down when I order them. So we usually make this Spicy Bloody Mary at home to get our fix, and it always hits the spot!
How spicy is this Bloody Mary?
This Bloody Mary packs just the right amount of heat, that is adjustable so if you can't do spice, just replace the habanero vodka with regular vodka. If you want more heat, you can add more spice if you want!
What Bloody Mary mix is the best?
We have tried every mix under the sun, and the most flavorful in our opinions are as follows:
1. Charleston Bloody Mary Mix: We discovered this one on a trip to Charleston a few years ago and now we order it online because it is by far our favorite. They have a couple different flavors: Bold & Spicy and Fresh & Veggie. Both are winners!
2. Republic Blood Mary Mix: For a good mix that's typically easy to find in most stores, this is what we use. It has a good flavor and consistency and provides a good base to enhance.
3. Revolution Bloody Mary Mix: This mix, coming out of Austin, is another great option! To top it off, they make a ton of fun and uncommon flavors so you can play around with what you like.
4. Mr & Mrs T's Original Bloody Mary Mix: Another great option that is usually available in most grocery stores if you can't find the above options.
What alcohol is the best in Bloody Marys?
Traditionally, bloody marys are made with vodka. For these spicy bloodies, we chose to use a combo of infused vodkas to give these some extra flavor, and we will not go back! We used Absolut Peppar and Hanson Habanero infused vodkas. But feel free to play around with different vodkas to find your favorite. We have also switched out thee vodka altogether with gin to make this Bloody Mary into a Red Snapper. Let us know if you find a combo you love!
We hope you enjoy this recipe for Spicy Bloody Mary's! If you try it out, leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram @cooking_with_wine.
If you enjoy cocktails, check out some of our other popular cocktail recipes:
- Blueberry Ginger Mint Frozen Margaritas
- Strawberry Basil Pink Martini
- Passion Fruit Cocktails
- Blackberry Thyme Old Fashioned
- Peach Elderflower Frosé
- Aperol Elderflower Spritz
Spicy Bloody Mary
- 3.5 oz of your favorite bloody mary mix (our 4 favs are listed in notes)
- 1 oz Absolut Peppar Vodka
- 1 oz Hanson Habanero Vodka (or other chili pepper infused vodka)
- 1 dash Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 dash Tapatio Hot Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Stir all ingredients. Pour in glasses over ice and garnish with whatever you want - lemon wheel, pickled onion, beans, okra, etc., olives or peppers.
Check out some of our other popular cocktails below: